Note from archiver<at>cs.uu.nl:
This page is part of a big collection
of Usenet postings, archived here for your convenience.
For matters concerning the content of this page,
please contact its author(s); use the
source, if all else fails.
For matters concerning the archive as a whole, please refer to the
or contact the archiver.
Subject: Bristol FAQ alt.bristol v. 0.1 (modified 01/08/1999)
This article was archived around: Wed, 03 Nov 99 17:36:03 GMT
Summary: This is the Charter and the FAQ for the Bristol newsgroup alt.bristol
Last-modified: August 1, 1999
Copyright: (c) 1999 Peter H.M. Brooks
Charter for alt.bristol
This charter is subject to change as required.
The newsgroup alt.bristol is designed for the discussion of, argument and
insult over Bristol. The original, real, Bristol is a city in
England. This group, alt.bristol, is not intended to replace or supercede
the possible group uk.local.bristol that may be created some day -
if people prefer to use that, then this may well become defunct. There are
a number of other Bristols, but alt.bristol is the proper place to
discuss any or all of them:
Bristol New Brunswick Bristol Quebec
Bristol Pennsylvania Bristol Rhode Island
Bristol South Dakota Bristol Virginia
Bristol Connecticut Bristol Colorado
Bristol Florida Bristol Indiana
Bristol Georgia Bristol Massachusetts
Bristol New Hampshire Bristol Vermont
Bristol Alaska Bristol Island - Sandwich Islands
Bristol Lake - California Bristol Mountains - California
Bristol Silver - Nevada
There are also many Hotels called Bristol, in Berlin, Genoa, Brussels,
Frankfurt, Lyon, Panama, Washington D.C, Sheffield, Springs,
Gibraltar, Dallas, Munich, Rome, Buenos Aires, Vienna, Sorrento, Paris,
Mulhouse, Warsaw, Riva del Garda, Abano Terme, Milan, San
Diego, Adelboden, Zermatt, Pietra Ligure, New Delhi, Newquay, Haryana,
Salzburg, Bonn, Portofino, Bordeaux, Florence, Cologne,
Bergen, and Geneva, to name a few.
Half the population have Bristols, which is something that the other half
is also pleased about, these can also be discussed here, though
they could be discussed in alt.bristols.
Bristols are also fine motorcars, clearly this is the place to discuss
them as well.
Binary postings, people arguing about wars in far off lands, html, or
postings in foreign languages are not welcomed - unless they have a
direct bearing upon Bristol.
Should the need arise, alt.bristol can be treated as an heirachy, so that
somebody could create alt.bristol.arts, alt.bristol.lunch,
alt.bristol.traffic, alt.bristol.bbc, alt.bristol.slavery,
alt.bristol.croquet or what ever suits the need of the moment.
Here is a picture of a fine pair of bristols kindly supplied by Joanna -
for details, see the credits below the FAQ.
At the moment, this is being maintained by me, Peter Brooks,
email@example.com you can look at my web-site at
http://www.psyche.demon.co.uk/ if you wish.
A copy of this can be found at http://www.psyche.demon.co.uk/ bristol.html
Bristol Frequently Asked
questions with answers:
This is the first posting of this FAQWA. Since this group only came into
existence officially today, there have been no questions and certainly not
any frequent ones, so
this is an empty FAQWA for the moment. Should you wish to send me a
question that you think will be asked frequently that requires an answer,
I will consider adding
it.Questions that might be suggested might include:
0. Why are tits sometimes called bristols?
1. Why is Bristol called Bristol and not Bombay? [a good question as
Bombay is free at the moment]
2. Why is Black Boy Hill next to White Ladies Road?
3. If a good portion of the wealth in Bristol is from the Slave Trade,
should it be given back? If so to how and to whom?
4. Ditto Tobacco. which would lead to: 'How many people died to build the
5. Why are there so many balloons in Bristol?
6. How does Bristol manage to keep the tourists away?
7. Is it true that the seats in the Arnolfini were designed for use in the
torture chambers of the Emperor Bokassa - who rejected them as too cruel?
8. In 'Jerusalem' did Blake intend us to understand that Jesus Christ was
9. Is it possible to travel under Bristol by canoe?
10. Is it true that the woman who survived jumping of the Clifton
Suspension Bridge by her skirts acting as a parachute suffered vastly from
wind until her sad death in a
freak smoking accident?
11. Which lecture theatre at Bristol University is known for the number of
people who have been caught in flagrente delicto? What is the record
number of people so
caught at the same time? How do I find it?
12. Why does the Poly claim to have a campus in Frenchay when it is, in
fact, in Stoke Gifford?
13. Is there any truth in the rumour that Cromwell hid a ton of gold under
14. Is it true that there is part of the Bristol library reserved for
15. Is it true that you can get biltong and boerewors in Clifton?
16. Why did Arthur get stuffed at the top of Park Street?
17. Why is the Bristol morgue closed on Tuesday afternoons? What do they
do with the bodies then?
18. Is the weather in Bristol ever worse than that in the rest of the
19. Is there really a cider ward in the BRI?
20. Does the Eye Hospital do teeth as well?
21. Is it an offence under local bye laws to drive with an inaudible
stereo after 10:30?
22. Where was the black spot delivered?
23. How many opera companies perform regularly in Bristol?
24. Why do some charity shops in Bristol have anti-ram-raiding posts?
25. Is it possible to miss your 'plane from Bristol airport because the
bridge is pointing up stream?
26. Why does Bristol have two airfields, but use the one furthest away as
27. Can flying guppies be seen in the Bristolian skies?
28. Does Bristol have a metro system? So where was I last night?
29. What religion is practiced at Temple Meads?
30. Is there a camera in Bristol into which six people can fit? Why might
these people see suicides?
31. Is it really true that it is furry in the middle of the Triangle?
32. When did they remove the fence around the Victoria Rooms and why?
33. If traffic cones were not invented in the Boer War, why is the
memorial to that war topped by one?
34. How many months holiday does the Japanese restaurant take?
35. Was Bristol blue glass made to conceal the peculiar colour of the
plonk served at the old Black Boy Inn?
36. Do you really have to pay to park at Southmead Hospital?
37. Why is a town known for its history of slavery and tobacco so popular
38. Why do more people go to see films in Bristol than anywhere else in
the country? Why were they all there talking when I last went to see one?
39. Why can't you go to the dogs in Bristol any more?
40. Where can I find a good tailor now Golanski has retired?
41. Is it true that Camelot was Bristol? So, was the song about Camelot in
the film really about Bristol?
42. Where can I go for a swim in Bristol?
43. Why is St Mary's called 'on-the-Quay' when it isn't?
44. Why isn't Bristol called Bombay when all the taxi drivers seem to come
45. Why is the large bus shelter outside Bentalls shaped like a ship?
46. Where can I find an evening class to learn Bristolian?
47. What's a 'Bedmie?
48. Why are there more men in Bristol than women and why do they all go to
the Queen's Shilling?
49. I'm thinking of moving to Bristol, can you tell me about house prices,
jobs and good schools.
50. Where can I park?
51. What's it all about, eh??
52. So why go after those who aren't the problem? [Re the CPZ]
Questions & Answers [eventually]:
Question 0: firstname.lastname@example.org (R.B.)
Questions 1-41: Peter H.M. Brooks email@example.com
Questions 42-50: Joanna Prescott firstname.lastname@example.org [and the
Question 51: David Davis email@example.com
Question 52: Jim Darling JimDarling@disconnected.freeserve.co.uk