Note from archiver<at>cs.uu.nl:
This page is part of a big collection
of Usenet postings, archived here for your convenience.
For matters concerning the content of this page,
please contact its author(s); use the
source, if all else fails.
For matters concerning the archive as a whole, please refer to the
or contact the archiver.
Subject: Rap Dictionary (part 2 of 4)
This article was archived around: 03 Nov 2004 05:22:00 GMT
Posting-Frequency: Bi-weekly, posted on the 3rd and 18th of each month
Copyright: (c) 1992-2004 Patrick Atoon
Maintainer: Patrick Atoon <firstname.lastname@example.org>
This is the second part of the bi-weekly posting of the Rap Dictionary
to rec.music.hip-hop. It is extracted from the WWW version accessible at:
This Rap Dictionary is not intended to show the only correct spelling of words;
slang is mostly a spoken language an noone exactly knows how to spell things. A
word might mean something other to you than displayed here; that is because all
words and corresponding meanings have been put in the list on a "goes until
challenged by someone" basis.
I have followed the English rules, writing out words fully. Most verbs are
usually written differently, though. Take for example cruising, which will
usually be spelled like cruisin', or brother which is often seen as brotha. Some
starting with an `f' are often written with `ph', like phat or phunky. And what
to think of a thing like Doowutchalike?
Where possible I have added a source to show in what context the word is being
used. Take a look at the definition below.
1) (n) Sort of high-five type of handshake. "Gimme a dap, I'll give you
one back" -- Ice T. (Ziplock )
2) (n) Dignity and Pride, old slang (think 70's here).
Note the "a source" as in "just any source", I don't mean "the source", since
that would take ages of debating.
Note that in slang or dialects the grammar is not strongly typed, so nouns can
be verbs etcetera. Slang for gun and penis is almost always interchangable.
Wherever you encounter (?) I am not sure about whatever I am saying there.
"???" means that I don't have that particular piece of information. If you know
more than me, please let me know.
Please help making this list more complete. If it wasn't for the help of
the UseNet alt.rap community, this list wouldn't be one percent of its
(n) Seller of narcotics. "If you see somebody getting pussy for crack, he's the
dopeman, dopeman" -- N.W.A. (Tha Dopeman )
(n) The street East 99th and St. Clair in Cleveland. Home of the group Bone Thugs'n
double deuce juice
1) (n) 22 oz of cold 45 ml beer.
2) (n) Colt 45 (the Billy D. juice).
(n) Money. "Don't you know when the dough get low, the juice go" -- Mobb Deep
(Survival of the fittest [??]).
(n) Covert, secret, "hush hush", derived from low profile".
(adv) To be down with: to be sympathetic to something, or to be friends with
(n) Dogg pound gangsta.
(n) Pants, underpants.
(adj) Sometimes pronounced "drawlin'", Philly slang meaning that one is acting
in such a way as to draw attention to oneself in public, usually in an
(n) A gang form of execution; armed with guns they drive by their victims, take a
shot at them, and drive off. "With your drive-by's it took time to getcha, but now
I'm gonna wetcha" -- Ice Cube (I'm gonna wetcha )
(n) Convertible car. <EM>"Long as everybody get crunk in the drop"</EM> -- Lil Bow
Wow (Bounce with me ).
drop / throw bows
1) (v) Dance. In the "Southern Hospitality" video Ludacris is doing the dance where
he holds up his fists and looks like he's punching the sky, throwing up his elbows
(hence "'bows"). Also, when females are freak dancing, they might "drop it like it's
hot", and make their knees touch their elbows, which is why Ludacris talks about
women droppin 'bows.
"If you's a pimp and you know you don't love them hoe's...
Drop bows on 'em." and "Catch them in the club throwing pretty ass bows" -- Ludacris
(Southern Hospitality ).
2) (v) To fight using elbows.
drop science, drop knowledge
(v) To demonstrate wisdom or skill. "I'm droppin' science" -- 7a3 (Coolin' in
Dropping a Dime
(n) Dick sucking lips; oral sex.
(n) Car wheel rims. "can I get a WOOP WOOP to these
niggaz from all my bitches who
don't got love for niggaz without doves" -- Jay Z (Can I get a...[????])
(n) Money, from "ducats": coins. He's gettin' juiced for his duckets" -- N.W.A. (I
ain't the one ).
(n) Fat gold chain.
(v) To act stupid, from the english "dumb". "Ya dummin'" -- Funkdoobiest (You're
1) (n) Used like the word son. "What up, dun?" -- Nas (Represent ).
2) (adj) Very dark, used in a negative setting as in dark and ugly. "They always let the
motherfucking dun nigger
hold the cash." -- Lil Kim (Queen Bitch [????]).
(v) To use PCP, a strong hallucinogen that reportedly makes one almost inhumanly
strong, also known as "Angel Dust". "Like the Hudson on PCP, when I'm dustin'" --
Wu-Tang Clan (Proteck ya neck ).
(n) Dutch Master is a brand of cigars. When rolling a serious blunt, the tobacco is
removed from a cigar and replaced with marijuana. "Slit a nigga back like a Dutchmasta
killa" -- Wu-Tang Clan (???).
(n) Derogatory term for lesbian. "Dumb ass hooker ain't nuttin' but a dyke" --
N.W.A. (Gangsta Gangsta )
(interj) Short for "yes, bring it on". St. Louis term used frequently by rapper
(n) Extra wide rolling paper for marijuana cigarettes. "Don't hide the crop cause
I got the E.Z. Wides"
(n) A predominately Black city called East St. Louis. Home of Miles Davis.
(n) See East Boogie.
(n) Short for El Producto cigars. "I contact eleven El's and macs in heaven" -- Nas
(One time 4 your mind ).
(n) A pound of marijuana.
(n) Elijah Poole, a Georgia-born ex-factory worker who founded the black muslim
movement Nation of Islam in Detroit in 1930, also known as Honorable Elijah Muhammad.
"Read the book how to eat to live, from Elijah Muhammad, it's a brown paperback" --
Boogie Down Productions (Beef )
Elm City, The L
(n) New haven, Connecticut.
(n) Money, derived from making ends.
(n) Spanish word meaning "that" or "that one", used for homeboy. Incidentally, in
the 70's in California, certain application forms had the choices "black",
"white", "SA" and "other" for ethnicity, where "SA" stood for "Spanish-American".
1) (n) The hairdo (see high top fade).
2) (v) Means to not listen to, erase, or get rid of (kill). Has mutated into various
other meanings as well as has most other hiphop lingo. It (the phrase) started from
actually pulling down the fader on a mixer, which of course, results in not listening to
whomever was on at the time. So Ice Cube wants you to listen to him always and not fade him
or turn him off... "You can't fade me" -- Ice Cube (You can't fade me).
3) (n) Term from from the dice-game craps, related to losing. The player rolling the
dice must have someone to fade them (i.e. to put up money against the money they are
gambling). If you are faded, you have lost.
(n) Derogatory term for homosexual man, short for faggot. "...and I thought it was
a gag, when I thought it was a girl, it was nothing but a fag" -- Schoolly D.
(n) Woman who only seeks homosexual people for friends. "...who used to be a fag
hag" -- Grandmaster Flash (The Message [??]).
(v) To front, to fake moves. "Cuz the brothers that fake jacks get laid on they
backs" -- Mobb Deep (??? [??]).
(n) Street in the New York City borough of Queens. Home of L.L. Cool J. "Farmers
Boulevard, that's where the crib's at, that's where me and E. hang out." -- L.L. Cool J.
1) (adj) Refering to the federal government. "The reasons are several, most of the
federal" -- Public Enemy (Black steel in the hour of chaos ).
2) (adj) Something of exceptional quality or of an extreme nature. Used throughout
E-40 tapes, probably Bay Area in origin.
3) (adj) Going federal: rising up in the game.
(n) New York boxing arena, many prominent New York City boxers have boxed there.
(v) To be hostile to. 2) (v) To need something badly, most often drugs. But you can
also be a fiend for a dope beat.
(n) San Francisco district.
finger on the trigger
1) (n) Someone with the ~: someone prepared to shoot if necessary. "I got my hand in my
pocket and my finger's on the trigger" -- Beastie Boys (Posse in effect ).
2) (n) In a state of readiness, prepared.
3) (n) In a position of power or authority.
(v) As in "being a flake", being untrustworthy. "Yo man there's a lot of brothers
out there flaking and perpetrating but scared to kick reality" -- N.W.A.
(Express Yourself [????])
(v) To show off in a manner of actually flashing material items in the faces of other
Flatlands, The Flats
(n) Fairfield, CA (neighboring E-40's home city of Vallejo)
flatlands it ain't never too late"</EM> -- E-40 (Seasoned ).
1) (n) Flavour
2) (n) Flavor Flav, Chuck D's right hand man in Public Enemy.
(n) The glasses of PE's Flavor. "Don't worry, Flavavision ain't blurry" -- Public
Enemy (Don't believe the hype).
(v) "Flay on the mix", serious old school mixing and scratching.
1) (v) To show one's mettle, flexing one's muscles, showing one's arsenal and
readiness to put it to use, letting one's pugilistic prowess be known. To strike
someone, or to get up in someones face for intimidation. "I use my nine when suckas start
to flex" -- Ice Cube (Man's best friend ).
2) (v) Scratching, from flexing of the wrist. Rakim used to talk about Eric B being on
3) (v) To have sexual intercourse.
(n) Movie. "Scare mothafuckas like Stephen King flicks" -- N.W.A. (Chin Check
1) (v) Move in and out of something. "Floss the NSX" -- DJ Quick (Dollars and sense).
2) (v) To show off.
1) (n) Money.
2) (v) To rhyme continuously in the same rhyme scheme without stopping.
(adj) Attractive, beautiful. "Put on the Bally shoes and the fly green socks" --
Slick Rick and Doug E. Fresh (Ladidadi).
(n) 42nd street, Manhattan, the Times Square area.
(n) 40 ounce bottle of Olde English 800 malt liquor. "Forty dog, one love" -- Nas
(One love ).
(n) See '64.
1) (v) Dance in a provocative way.
2) (v) Have sex.
3) (n) Person who practices the above things; sexually aggressive female (never
missing a beat).
4) (v) To take out the filter paper from a Black & Mild pipe-tobacco cigar. "I'm going
to freak this Mild"
(n) Free from incarceration; the world outside of prison. "I really miss my free
world" -- Convicts (??? ).
(v) Freestyling is when an MC flows with lyrics right of the top of his or her head. It
is inpromptu and spontaneous and only the most creative rhymers can do it well.
It is also a kind of competition between MC's because you have to be good to bust a
good freestyle. It helps to keep MCs on their toes too, because its is like
practice. "We gonna do a little freestyle for y'all, and it go like this" -- Schoolly D.
(Cuttin' and scratchin' [??]).
1) (adj) New
2) (adj) Very good.
(n) San Francisco. Home of JT the bigga figga.
(v) Pretend to be that which you are not; act tough. "You can't front on that" --
Beastie Boys (So what'cha want ).
(n) A variety of fried chicken often cooked op in and around the area of Jackson
Mississippi. Also known as "Rico".
(n) Hiphop clothing company founded in 1992. FUBU is an acronym for "For Us, By Us",
referring to the founders purpose: clothes designed by African-Americans for
African-Americans. Many items from the clothing line display the number "05", which stands for
the five childhood friends from Queens who founded the company. In an interview
with HarlemLive, Carl Brown and Keith Perrin of FUBU state: "There were five of us
all out of Queens, we grew up together as friends and remained friends. With
$5,000 seed money we were able to start our business." In 1999 FUBU reported an annual
turnover of about $350 million. "Under the FUBU is a guru" -- Common (The 6th Sense
(n) (n,v) This is the most powerful word in the American English language. It can be
the very best or the very worst. You might enjoy getting your brains fucked out,
but then again you might not.
1) (adj) Malodorous.
2) (n) The essence of being, as in faking the funk.
(n) Famous drumtrack by Clyde Stubblefield, James Brown's drummer. Often used in
(adj) Contraction of the phrase "for real"; something known to be true. "On the
furilla, my nigga, just call me Scarface" -- Geto Boys (Scarface ).
1) (n) Anything that starts with a G. E.g. God, Gangsta, Girl, Guy. As in "Whatup, G?".
2) (v) To have sexual intercourse. E.g. Sir Mix-a-Lot's self titled EP has a song
called "Let's G".
3) (n) Money, from Grands or thousands, for example a hundred G's equals $100,000. "I
clock G's while you clock Z's" - EPMD (??? [??]).
(adv) Dressed to kill, like a bawla.
(n) Gangsta funk. Examples: Snoop Doggy Dogg, Warren G & Nate Dog.
(n) To harass. Especially being "gaffled" by the police.
(adj) Past tense of "to gaffle". The state of being messed up; a misfortunate
1) (v) Wooing. "Cause I'm gamin' on a female that's gamin' on me" -- N.W.A. (I ain't the
2) (v) In the game, whatever the game might be. A game is some way to make money or
advance oneself, or just a game.
3) (adv) To be game, do be down with.
(n) Group of organised criminals. The main gangs in Northern California are (in
random order): 1. Bloods 2. Norte 3. Surenos 4. Crips
1) (v) To commit crimes in a gang.
2) (v) To to have sex in groups.
1) (n) A gangster or criminal.
2) (adj) In the way of a gangster.
3) (adj) A style of rap that evolved in South Central, Los Angeles.
1) (n) The way a person drives where they lean over to the passenger seat and get really
low. "Digging the scene with a gangsta lean" -- N.W.A. (Gangsta, gangsta ).
2) (n) The heaven where gangsters end up, when a homie dies, you pour out a little
liquor or lean the bottle over to spill liquor. "This is for my homies kickin' it in the
Gangsta Lean" -- DRS (Gangsta Lean ).
(n) See marijuana. "Ganja business controls America" -- Boogie Down Productions
(Illegal Business [??]).
(v) Same as skank, ie. to hurt, steal from, or diss in some way. "I guess that's what I
get, for trying to gank the little homies for their grip" -- Dr. Dre (Lil' ghetto boy
1) (n) To show someone a sign of disrespect.
2) (n) Make stupid face towards someone you don't like. "The same people that got
gasfaced last year" -- 3rd Bass (No master plan, no master race )
1) (n) Refers to any gun. It originates from Gattling, the name of the man who invented
the machine gun (the Gattling gun). 2)
2) (n) Hip-Hop Clothing Co.
3) (v) To shoot someone. "What now: gotta duck, they're gonna gatt me" -- Cypress Hill
(Lick A Shot [????])
(n) A shotgun. "Hopped in his caddy, loaded his 12 gauge" -- Schoolly D (Signifying
(n) One of the most sampled men alive, creator of the P-Funk.
(v) To catch a sexually transmitted disease. Specifically refers to the burning
sensation caused by gonorrhoea when urinating. "Stay in the microwave too long you'll
get burned" -- Kool Moe Dee (Go see the doctor [??]).
1) (v) Have sex.
2) (v) eat "Ya mama is so big and fat that she can get busy with 22 burritoes, but times
are rough, I seen her in the back'a taco bell with handcuffs" -- Pharcyde (Ya Mama)
(v) Receive/give fellatio.
(v) See props.
(n) Police helicopter. "Motherfuck you and your punk ass ghetto bird." -- Ice Cube
(Ghetto Bird ).
(n) car, usually American made, that generally sports a rusted body covered with
house paint. Synonym of hooptie.
(n) Out of here: "I'm ghost".
gift of gab
(n) The ability to talk anyone into anything.
(n) Austrian manufacturer of handguns. People usually mean the 9mm glock, which
can hold up to 20 rounds, plus one in the chamber. With an extended clip they can
hold up to 33 rounds. Most of the Glock is made of steel, but it is wrapped in a plastic
cover, giving the gun a futuristic feel to it.
(n) Material made into jackets and other clothing. Also made into high durability
boots. "Bow to the group in the boots" -- Sir Mix-a-lot (Gortex ).
(n) On welfare.
(n) See marijuana. "But I smoke 'em like grass, just like Cheech and Chong" -- Dr.
Dre (Keep Their Heads
1) (n) "Guard your grill": protect yourself, grill" stands for your teeth, protect
your face from getting punched. "I got the skill, I'll bust ya in the grill" -- House
of Pain (Shamrocks and Shenanigans [??]).
2) (n) Front of a car.
1) (n) Ability on the microphone.
2) (n) Gun.
3) (n) Money. "I guess that's what I get, for trying to gank the little homies for their
grip" -- Dr. Dre (Lil' ghetto boy [??]).
(n) Ford Mustang GT, also known as the "five-point-oh" for it's 5.0L V-8.
(n) Grand theft auto, legalese for stealing a car. "It's all about makin' that GTA"
-- Eazy-E (Boyz in the hood ).
(n) Irish brand of beer. "Damn, they wanna label me a menace cuz I'm sittin' here
sippin' on Guiness" --
2Pac (Fuck The World )
(n) Houston, home of The 5th Ward.
1) (adv) Tough. "Cause I'm too hard to lift" -- Dr. Dre (Let me ride [??]).
2) (adv) Erected. "Ya dicks on hard" -- Dr. Dre (In your own dogs [??]).
(adj) True to what you claim.
(n) See marijuana. "They got hash took the stash left the rest for me" -- 2Pac (To
Live & Die In L.A. )
1) (v) To look at something.
2) (v) To stare down someone.
3) (n) The wind, especially when it is blowing hard.
(n) Someone who earned respect.
(adv) A hell of a lot. "I got hella scrilla" -- ??? (??? [??]).
(n) Brand of Cognac. "Take this Hennessey!" NAS -- (The Genesis ).
1) (n) Marijuana, comes from herbs. "Herbalz in my mouth" -- 3rd Bass (Herbalz in my
2) (n) Semen (mentioned in an interview once by 3rd Bass).
high top fade
(n) Haircut high on the top, fading down to close cut on the sides "Livin' in fear of
my shade or my high top fade" -- Public Enemy (??? [??]).
(n) Greeting where you slap hands together in the air, as opposed to low-five,
where you slap hands at waist height.
(v) To ignore or disrespect someone by not acknowledging their presence.
"Bitches get mad cause we highside" -- Big Mike (Smoke 'em and & choke 'em [??]).
(n) In Jamaican ska era, 60's, a DJ would spin and cut the wax and a MC would sing or
shout or dub poetry over it. That's the roots of hiphop which were brought to New York
City by Kool DJ Herc, but hip-hop or rap was created in New York City.
1) (n) Hooker, prostitute, from the Southern pronounciation of the word whore. "She
ain't nothing but another ho, according to the system" -- KRS-One (Exhibit D.
2) (v) To sell out.
hold the fort down
(v) To represent where you are from. "If so hold the fort down and represent to the
fullest" -- Nas (One Love ).
1) (n) Vagina.
2) (n) Gun chamber. "16 in the clip and one in the hole" -- Nate Dogg (Regulate [??]).
(v) To shout.
(n) See ho.
(n) Close friend.
(n) Female equivalent of homeboy. "Homegirls, see a guy you like? Just grab him in
the biscuits... and doowutchalike" -- Digital Underground (Doowutchalike
(n) A close relative or friend. "My homeskillet gets me the goods whenever I want"
-- ?? (?? [??]).
(n) See homeboy. "But I wish he could have said it to my dead homey" -- Ice Cube (Dead
(n) Female, generally attractive.
(n) pretty young ladies with golden brown complexions.
(n) The neighbourhood, usually a poor community.
(n) T-shirt or sweatshirt with hood attached to it.
(n) A criminal; drugdealer, car thief, stick up kid. "Hoodlums and hustlers and
bangers with Jheri-curls" -- Ice T. (Lifestyles of the rich and infamous )
(n) female, generally sexually promiscuous, and not upwardly mobile "Homies in
the hood labeled her as a hoodrat" -- Domino (Ghetto jam )
(n) A hook, used in load of songs, is an aspect of popular or commercial music that
"grabs" people and makes it easy to like like or remember the song. For example, the
riff from "Son of a Preacher Man" used in Cypress Hill's "Hits from the Bong" 
is an example of a hook. "Check out the hook while I drop crazy rhymes" -- ???
(n) Old car in bad shape.
(n) Blunt. "It's a hoota of the Buddah blessed"
hop on the side
(v) To get on the passenger side of a car.
(n) Vertical jump, usually related to basketball. "He's got mad hops" -- ??? (???
(n) A very attractive female. "This hottie got a body and I wanna get naughty" -- Sir
Mixalot (Sprung on the Cat ).
(n) Person who blindly follows simple-minded people, the term was used by Malcolm
X. In slavery days, you had house slaves and field slaves. The house slaves were
"well behaved" and were "rewarded" by being allowed to work in the "big house" close
to the master. The field slaves were "rough" and only suited for field work. Thus
the people were divided and pitted against themselves, instead of the common
(n) Hunter's Point, a San Francisco district.
Huey P. Newton
(n) Founder of the Black Panther movement along with H. R. Brown and Bobby Seale.
Mentioned in a few PE songs.
(v) Coming at someone.
(n) Hydroponic marijuana, which is due to an agricultural technique of
cultivation in the production of cannabis, a more potent product. "Hydro, me just can't
let me, high go " - Bone Thugs 'n Harmony (Buddah lovas ).
1) (n) Statements made about something before that thing comes out, especially wild
statements guessing about the things nature (whether positive or negative). For
example, record companies will often put many advertisements out before a record
comes out. Before Public Enemy's album came out there was much negative hype in the
media. "Yo Harry! You're a writer; are we that type? Don't believe the hype..." --
Public Enemy (Don't believe the hype).
2) (adj) Cool. "Too damn hype" -- Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince (??? ).
(n) The Intelligent Black Womens Coalition, a group that Yo-Yo is a member of.
1) (n) Diamonds or jewelry with diamonds in it. "Hands smothered in ice." -- Ice-T
(Bitches 2 ).
2) (n) On ice - at the morgue.
3) (n) Ice or ice cream: drugs, or cocaine in particular.
1) (v) To be obnoxious, or to act weird, as in eating dogfood. "You be illin'" --
RUN-DMC (You be illin' ).
2) (adj) Negative.
3) (adj) Positive. "Most illinest b-boys" -- Beastie Boys (Rhymin' and stealing
(n) East-orange, NJ. Home of Naughty By Nature, Queen Latifah.
(n) Type of popular low-cost car made by Chevrolet in the seventies. The car is
popular with low riders, especially the 1964 model. '63, '62 and '65 models are also
sometimes used. Ice Cube's car in "Boyz 'n the hood" was an Impala. "Knew her from the back
of my homeys Impala" -- Ice Cube (You can't fade me ).
1) (n) Under control by someone else. Probably from a game of chess.
2) (adv) Under control, due to skills. "I got you all in check" -- Busta Rhymes (Woo
in foe deep
(n) A term used to refer to a car that contains four people at once. "In foe deep we
creep" -- RBL Posse (Don't give me no bammer [??]).
in the house
(n) Present, here. "Compton's in tha house" -- N.W.A. (Compton's in tha house
in [full] effect
(adv) Present and taking place.
(n) Marijuana from Indonesia. "Indo smoke up in your lungs like that" -- Dr. Dre
1) (v) To rob someone face to face. "Lets see who the fuck I'ma jack today" -- Ice Cube
(Robin hood [??]).
2) (n) Nothing, "I ain't got jack to give you".
(v) To rob the helpless.
(n) Short for carjacker.
(n) Anybody who is at least five years younger than you are. The word is from old taxi
drivers who date young high school girls and when high school guys go out with junior
high school students.
(n) The police.
1) (n) song, cut, track. "This is the dope Jam!" -- Public Enemy (Night the living
2) (n) The sweet stuff - like honey.
3) (n) Slam dunk in basketball.
4) (n) To lock up, like when a bullet gets caught up in the chamber of a gun the gun jams.
(n) One of the funkiest and most sampled men alive.
1) (n) Penis. "All the fly ladies are on my jammy" -- Beastie Boys (The new style
2) (n) Gun. "Pulled out the jammy aimed it at the sky" -- Beastie Boys (Paul Revere
1) (adj) Bad, flawed (northern California)
2) (adj) Good, smooth (souther California). "Dub C, nigga, still janky as fuck!" --
W.C. and the Maad Circle (Intro ).
1) (n) Another word for joint, a marijuana cigarette. "Back in Philly, they call me da
jawn" -- Bahamadia (Total Wreck [??]).
2) (n) Any type of thing, as in "Yo, check this jawn out".
(v) To leave in a hurry.
(n) Wetlook, curly hairstyle. "Hoodlums and hustlers and bangers with
Jheri-curls" -- Ice T. (Lifestyles of the rich and infamous )
(n) To have a lot of money or riches. "DKNY, oh my I'm jiggy" -- Junior M.A.F.I.A.
(Player's Anthem ).
(n) See Jimmy.
(n) Penis. "Never sleep alone because Jimmy is a magnet" -- Beastie Boys (3 Minute
1) (n) Crotch. Being on someone's jock means trying to get involved with someone for
his money or his status etc. The best definition can be found on Ice Cube's "Kill at
will" in the full version of the song "Get off my dick and tell yo bitch to come here".
2) (v) To sweat someone.
(v) To taunt or to make fun, see snap.
(n) A craving for something. It is said to come from Jones Alley in Manhattan where
junkies used to live. E.g.: "Baseball Jones": needing baseball, "love Jones": a dire
craving for someone, "Jonesing for some MJ": wanting some marijuana. I got a love
Jones for your body and skin tone" -- Method Man & Mary J. Blidge (You are all I need
(n) Japanese People Time; being early or on time.
1) (n) Having hydraulics.
2) (v) To squeeze the juice out of something. "You can't juice Ice Cube, girl" --
N.W.A. (I ain't the one ).
3) (n) "To have juice means you kiss and lick a lot of booty" -- KRS-One (Blackman in
4) (n) Respect, e.g. the movie "Juice".
5) (n) Alcohol, as in "being juiced up" or get juice for the party".
6) (n) Willpower.
(n) North Carolina "New York, North Kakalaka and Compton." -- A Tribe Called Quest
(n) A brand of hat. LL Cool J used to wear this along with other east coast rappers. It
has a kangaroo on the side, but brothers wore them with the 'roo in front. "Went
back in, I forgot my Kangol" -- Slick Rick and Doug E. Fresh (Ladidadi).
(n) Short for "Karl Kani," which is a clothes label popular in the hood.
(n) Radio station that broadcasted from Crenshaw in South Central LA, and was
devoted to local underground Hip Hop. The musical director of KDAY was Greg Mack, and
he single handedly turned NWA from an unknown group to superstars. It signed Dr.
Dre and DJ Yella in 1983 to broadcast their own Mix Show, as the Wreckin' Crew. "It
(KDAY) was percieved as a Rap station cause we played rap no one else would" (Greg
Mack, as interviewed by Brian Cross in the book "It's not about a salarie"). KDAY was
sold in 1990, and was turned into a business network. The defunct radio station
symbolizes to a lot of rappers coming out of LA area the shutting down of black voice in
America. "This is K-Eazy E, wassup y'all this is Greg Mack, Mack Attack" -- Eazy-E
(n) Kilo, often used in conjuction with cocaine. "Dope, like a pound or a key" --
N.W.A. (Tell 'em what your name is ).
(n) Hip-hop clothing, brown/tan colored pants. "Wearin ghackis, mob while ya
ryhme, little fag tried to sag" -- Eazy-E (Real Motherphuckkin' G's ).
(n) See sneakers.
1) (n) See marijuana. "Crack another 40, smoke some kill" -- Schoolly D. (Smoke some
2) (n) To be dope on the microphone.
(n) A pest. "Leave Flavor Flav alone, knocka" -- Public Enemy (Cold lampin' with
(v) To have sexual intercourse. The knock refers to the man's hips hitting the
woman's ass, which produces a slapping sound. The motion litterally knocks her boots
(buttocks). "Bring your friend, I likes you two's I'll knock the boots, the sneakers and
the house shoes." -- Digital Underground (Flowing on the D-line [??]).
(v) Prepare to fight, by closing and raising ones fists.
1) (n) The late train. "I'm on the L train going insane" -- The Roots (Silent
2) (n) Elevated trains in Chicago or NYC.
(n) Los Angeles. In particular the phrase "LA 1992" indicates the riots that broke
out after the Rodney King trial.
(n) Salt Lake City, Utah.
1) (v) To hang out next to a streetlamp. "I'm on the street, cold lampin'" -- Public
Enemy (Cold lampin' with Flavor).
2) (v) To relax while others panic.
Land of Dope
Land of the Heartless
(n) Cleveland, Ohio.
(v) Having sexual intercourse. "Cause a nigga like me'll lay plenty of pipe" -- Ice
Cube (I'm only out for one thang).
(n) Phonebook abbreviation for Long Beach city, California. Home of 21 & Lewis.
"With so much drama in the LBC" -- Snoop Doggy Dogg (Gin and Juice).
(n) Female equivalent of The Fonz that appeared on Happy Days. "Now he's zipped up
like leather Tuscadero" -- Ice Cube (We had to tear this motherfucker up ).
(n) From: to pull someones leg, to make a joke. No leg pulls means no jokes; speak the
truth. "No leg pulls kid".
(n) Japanese luxury car. "Drivin' a Lexus with a death wish" -- Nas (Watch them
1) (v) Hanging around with friends of family.
2) (n) A casual gathering of friends and family. "This lime has no juice", this
gathering is dull.
(n) A line of cocaine. From the spanish "una lina" which translates to one line.
(adv) Great. "Is it live?" -- L.L. Cool J (Is it live? [??]).
(n) Cocaine, crack; it is a Spanish word, and the double l's are pronounced as
"y"'s. Used in the movie "Scarface" . The bitch came back with a bag of llello"
-- Ice Cube (Once upon a time in the projects ).
1) (n) Term used for local person.
2) (n) Crazy one, from the Spanish "loco", often used for friends or locals in a
positive way. "Don't you know I'm loco?" -- Cypress (Insane in the brain ) Hill
(Insane in the brain )
3) (n) Lock or locks, as in Jheri-curls, but always pronounced with the long o as in
4) (v) To "go loc" means to get ready for a drive-by or to shoot someone. This means
putting on dark glasses, skullies, caps and generally getting hard to identify.
5) (n) To get high. "We was in the park gettin' loc-ed" -- ???
(n) Short for dredlocks.
(n) City south of Compton. "Rollin' from the East Side south of Compton, see a big
ass, and I say 'word', took a look at the face, and the bitch was to the curb!" --
N.W.A. (8 ball (remix) )
(n) Louis Vuitton gear.
(n) Lowrider car with adjusted suspension. "Hitting them corners in them low
low', girl" - Dr. Dre (Still Dre [????])
(v) Adjusting the suspension of a car to get it closer to the ground. Since it is
illegal to drive that way, people have hydraulic systems to adjust the height of the
car while driving, making it bounce.
1) (n) Long Play, a nine or ten song regular tape.
2) (n) A vinyl record.
(v) To act stupid or crazy.
(n) See beamer. M3 is a special edition model from the BMW 3-series range. "purple
M3s and jet skis" -- Nas (If I Ruled the World ).
(n) The Ingram Mac-10 30 to 36-shot submachine pistol firing standard 9mm caliber
(.38 in) bullets. The American version of the Israeli Uzi. Most "Tens" are
actually smuggled Czech M-61s. "The Mac 10 is in the grass and I run like a cheetah with
thoughts of an assassin" -- Nas (??? ).
1) (n) Pimp.
2) (v) Being a pimp. "Mackin' is a game and everybody's playing it" -- Ice Cube (Who's
the mack )
3) (n) The Mack, an early 70's Blacksploitation film shot in Oakland, CA.
4) (n) Ladies Man "I love the ladies and they love me right back, now who's the Mack" --
Ice T. (??? [??]).
5) (v) To steal.
6) (v) To have sex. "You know, I was all getting my macks on with her"
(adj) Extremely, very, a large quantity. "His jeep was pumpin' mad bass" -- ???
(n) Someone who sells drugs.
1) (n) Short for magazine, as in clip or ammo insert.
2) (n) Short for Magnum.
(n) Money. Mo' mail than the rest of the pushers -- E-40 (??? [??]).
1) (v) Dominoes term, you win when you make ends. "So make all the ends you can make, cuz
when you're broke you break" -- Dr. Dre (Lil' ghetto boy )
2) (n) To make money. Think of the phrase "The ends justify the means". The ends may be
taken to mean money.
Malcolm [Malcolm X]
(n) Malcolm X, civil rights activist leader, gunned down at the age of 35 at the
Audubon Ballroom on the north edge of Harlem in New York in 1965 as he spoke to hundreds
of followers. He represented the largely urban North. Member of Nation of Islam
until 1964. Wrote many texts, interviews, notes and speeches from 1950-1963, of
which some can be considered racist. Renounced these points of view in his last
(n) Dried leaves and flowering tops of the pistillate hemp plant that yield THC
(tetrahydrocannabinol, the physiologically active chemical
C<sub>21</sub>H<sub>30</sub>O<sub>2</sub> that is the chief intoxicant in marijuana) and are smoked in cigarettes for
their intoxicating effect. Other reported words for it are: bammer, bionic, bomb,
brown, bud, buddha, cannabis, cheeba, chronic, dank, doubage, ganja, grass,
green, groove weed, hash, herb, home-grown, ill, Indo, iszm, Lebanon, Mary Jane
(mj), maui wowy, method, pot, sess, shake, shit, skunk, stress, tabacci, Thai,
wacky and weed.
(v) To chill, hang out.
1) (n) A sucker, a target for gaffling and crime. "You mark-ass busta, you betta raise
up" -- Dr Dre (Dre [??].)
2) (n) Someone who is claiming a set (subset of a Crip or Blood gang) to which he does not
(v) To have great fun.
(n) Probably Jamaican, in which case it comes from the TV game shows, Master of
Ceremonies (although the term existed before TV). It was the only person at a gathering
that was allowed to use the microphone. Could also stand for Microphone
Controller, Mic Checka. "The term, MC, stand for Master of Ceremonies" --- A Tribe Called
Quest (Midnight Marauders ).
1) (n) Said to be an aphrodisiac. "Funky col' medina" -- Tone Loc (Funky cold medina
2) (n) Nickname for Brooklyn.
3) (n) One of the three holy cities in Islam (n) One of the three holy cities in Islam
(n) Second most holy city of Islam; Nickname for Brooklyn.
(n) Large breath of crack. "Oh please, oh please, oh please, just gimme just one
more blast" -- Public Enemy (Megablast).
(n) Short for the drug crystal methamphetamine; a colorless, odorless form of
d-methamphetamine, a powerful and highly addictive synthetic stimulant. It typically
resembles small fragments of glass or shiny blue-white "rocks" of various sizes.
1) (n) Short for motherfucker.
2) (n) Short for Mark Ferhman; the police officer who tried to set up O.J. Simpson by
planting evidence on him.
(n) Martin Luther King, civil rights leader, shot april 4th, 1968. He represented
the largely rural South.
(n) See brother, nigga.
Moneyearnin' Mount Vernon
(n) Shabazz, 4th ave, 3rd street. One of the worst corners in Mount Vernon - hood
hang out, dealers, addicts. Home of Heavy D., Pete Rock and CL Smooth - 77 hillside
straight up Columbus Hill make a left in Mount Vernon.
(n) Clothing label. "Moschino on my misstres" -- Notorious B.I.G. (??? [??]).
(n) Popular brand of twelge gauge shotgun, used by the police. "And I grabbed my 12
gauge Mossberg pump" -- Bone Thugs-n-Harmony (??? [??]).
1) (n) Respectless person with no attitude.
2) (n) Also used to express a form of respect for someone. "My motherfuckin' nigga
Afrika Islam" -- Ice-T (??? [??]).
(v) To mess with. "You move on the Ice and you're going to sleep" -- Ice T (Ziplock).
(n) Akai MPC-60 sampling sequencer/drum machine, Akai's answer to the SP-12,
popular especially in the early 90's. Most hip-hop producers have a machine of the
(n) The Multi Purpose Vehicle, favored by groups because of their large seating
and cargo capacity. "Dedicated to MPV's, phat" -- Wu-Tang Clan (Can it be all so
(n) (1) Most Valuable Poet (on the mic), compare Most Valuable Player in team
sports. As used by Big L in the song "MVP".
(n) Vagina. The dugout is the dug-in bench at the side of a baseball field where
players wait until they are up to play. Nappy comes from hair napping up, sort of the way
it it on the way to dreading. The nappy dugout would be the dugout (small enclave a
few steps off the main field) that has nappy hair (pubic hair). "Giving up the
nappy dugout" -- Ice Cube (Giving up the nappy dugout [??]).
(n) A head with dreading hair. "Keep your heads nappy" -- Fugees (Nappy Heads
1) (adj) Nothing; nobody. "I ain't heard shit, I ain't heard nathan" -- The Coup
(Genocide & Juice [??]).
2) (n) "Nathan's" is a brand of hot dog.
3) (n) Natural born pimp.
(n) South Central Blood set associated with Cypress Hill.
(n) Brick City. Home of RedMan, LOTUG, Artifacts, Channel Live, T-neck.
(adj) New. When referring to an idividual, implies that he hasn't proven himself.
"He was a newjack hustler" -- Ice-T (Newjack hustler [??]).
(n) Five, as in 1995. "Everybody get in where ya fit in for tha nine five, tha nine
nickel" -- Method Man with Capleton (Wings of the morning [??]).
(n) Curseword used originally by white people, taken over by black people as a name
to show their proudness, and take off the edge; positive: "my nigga": my friend.
I don't want to be called yo nigga" -- Public Enemy (Yo nigga [??]).
1) (n) [neenyah] Spanish for girl of 5 years or less. Chica is a teenage girl.
2) (n) [neenah] 9mm. Mixture of correct Spanish pronounciation of the i and NYC or
Southern dialect ponounciation of the final -er as -ah of the word "niner". Cuz if I got
my nina then you know I'm straight trippin'" -- Dr. Dre (The Chronic ).
(n) Spanish term for godfather, as in Nino Brown.From the movie "The Godfather".
Also Nino Brown in New Jack City.
(interj) No doubt, no question.
(n) Nation Of Islam. "Elijah is alive, Louis Farrakhan, NOI" -- Ice Cube (Enemy
(n) New Rochelle NY, a suburb of NYC, borders Mount Vernon. Origin of Grand Puba and
1) (n) A stupid person. Possible a combination of Numb Skull/Fucker, or maybe
derived from knuckle head.
2) (n) Ones best friend. "You call your nigger 'nucker'" -- Digital Underground (if
it wasn't for the rapping [??]).
(n) Good sex. "Gimme that nutt" -- Eazy-E (It's on Dr. Dre 187 um killa ).
(n) Nothing. "Nine times outta ten, she's givin' up nuttin'" -- N.W.A. (I ain't tha
(n) Cold medicine that basically puts you to sleep, so you won't stay up all night
coughing. "Knock ya out like Nyquil" -- Ice Cube(?)
(n) An ounce of marijuana.
(n) An Irish name, pointing to the traditionally strong represented Irish in the
LAPD. "Gonna put a slug in captain O'Malley" -- Cypress Hill (We ain't goin' out like
(n) The O stands for Oakland, the 1-2 for a left-right combination punch. "Up in
Oakland you might get the O-1-2" -- Father Dom (??? [??]).
(n) Short for Old English, a kind of malt liquor. "Coolin' on the corner with a
bottle of O.E." -- Beastie Boys (Time to get ill ).
1) (n) Original gangster, which you become when you 'advertise' a gang. People
should talk about you and link your name with the things you done in the past. This
includes killings, driveby shootings, spending time in jail, and living up to your
name. "O.G. Original Gangster" -- Ice T. (Original Gangster ).
2) (adj) True; original.
3) (n) Someone who is true to the game, who never sold out.
1) (n) Reference to a big car: erstwhile football star and all-around adman O.J.
Simpson does Hertz commercials featuring Ford and Lincoln Mercury cars. Used on
Sugarhill Gang's Rapper's Delight.
2) (n) To pull an O.J. on someone: to set someone up, to plant evidence.
1) (n) Other people's pussy.
2) (n) Other people's penis.
3) (n) Other people's property.
Oaktown, the big O, the O
(n) Oakland, California. The Westside O and the Eastside O stand for West and East
Oakland. Home of Too $hort and Luniz.
(adv) Increasing in size, often used in prisons to describe a weight lifter. "My
bank roll's on swo" -- Snoop Doggy Dogg (??? [??]).
(n) (interj.) Farewell bidding, like "peace".
(n) Police officer. Refered to as one-time as you have one time or one chance to get
out of the situation alive. "One-time because it's my life on the line" -- Ice Cube
(n) An uzi semi-automatic gun.
(n) Black person who wants to be white, or people of mixed race. An oreo is a type of
cookie black on the outside with white cream filling inside. "A message to the oreo
cookie" -- Ice Cube (Turn off the radio ).
(n) Amsterdam (the Netherlands) hood where the foundations of the Dutch
underground, hardcore hiphop scene were laid. Rap artists such as Jason, West Klan and
first and foremost The Osdorp Posse are from that part of Amsterdam.
(n) A higher degree of consciousness satisfaction; beyond the average. "Grip it
on that other level" -- Geto Boys (On that other level ).
(n) Home-made type of gun that people make in the prisons. "I heared you blew a nigga
with an ox for the phone piece" -- Nas (One love)
1) (n) Partner, friend.
2) (n) Pussy. "The P is free" -- BDP (The P is free) 3) (n) Posse.
(n) Paris. "P-Dog comin' up, I'm staying low" -- Paris (The devil made me do it).
(n) Music of the George Clinton time period. Parliament Funkadelic was a group in
that era and it included such artists as George Clinton and Bootsy Collins.
(n) Public Enemy.
1) (n) Paid on delivery.
2) (n) Passed over-dosed; a deceased person due to an drug over-dose.
(n) Park Side Killers, Philadelphia gang of which Schoolly D. used to be a member.
"P.S.K., we're makin' that green" -- Schoolly D. (P.S.K. (what does it mean?)).
(n) Port Arthur, Texas. Referred to throughout UGK and Point Blank albums.
(n) House, home, place where you live. "It's like that and its like this I took her to
the pad and we started to kiss..." -- Eazy-E (Gimme that nutt [??]).
(n) Gun. "Say why ya creep without a muthaphuckin paddle" -- Lady or Rage (Lyrical
(v) Hydraulics maneuver where a car goes from all wheels high to all wheels low.
"Pancake, front-to-back, side-to-side, and all that shit" -- Dr. Dre (Let me ride