[Comp.Sci.Dept, Utrecht] Note from archiver<at>cs.uu.nl: Since januari 2019, this archive is no longer maintained/updated.
This page is part of a big collection of Usenet postings, archived here for your convenience. For matters concerning the content of this page, please contact its author(s); use the source, if all else fails. For matters concerning the archive as a whole, please refer to the archive description or contact the archiver.

Subject: s.c.italian FAQ (CUSTOMS AND STANDARDS) [7/8]

This article was archived around: 2 Feb 1998 09:40:32 GMT

All FAQs in Directory: cultures/italian
All FAQs posted in: soc.culture.italian, it.cultura, it.aiuto, it.notizie
Source: Usenet Version

If you want to add or change any information in this FAQ, there are separate editors for the 8 parts. Here is a list with the names. Sending your contribution to the right person will speed up the process.
Introduction Gianluigi Sartori <gg@angel.stanford.edu> Italy and Internet Paolo Fiorini <fiorini@telerobotics.jpl.nasa.gov> Italians in a foreign land Gianluigi Sartori <gg@angel.stanford.edu> Italian radio and TV Gianluigi Sartori <gg@angel.stanford.edu> Academics Gianluigi Sartori <gg@angel.stanford.edu> Arts and Tourism Gianluigi Sartori <gg@angel.stanford.edu> Customs and Standards Gianluigi Sartori <gg@angel.stanford.edu> Misc Gianluigi Sartori <gg@angel.stanford.edu> =====S7. CUSTOMS AND STANDARDS ==Q7.1= Can I use my Italian electonic appliances in ======= USA/UK and vice versa? Last modified: Wed May 22 21:05:17 MET 1996 Per Radio/HiFi non c'e' problema. Per gli USA puo' essere necessario (se il dispositivo non e' munito di cambiatensioni) utilizzare un trasformatore (per piccole potenze in USA lo si trova da Radio Shack per 16 dollari). Piccoli/grossi elettrodomestici: per gli USA se contengono motori e' poco probabile che funzionino in quanto la frequenza di rete e' diversa (USA 60 Hz, ITA 50 Hz). E' comunque poco conveniente. TV/VCR: In USA viene impiegato il sistema televisivo NTSC mentre in Italia e gran parte d'Europa il PAL B/G. In UK e Irlanda viene utilizzato il PAL I. In Francia e` usato il sistema SECAM (incompatibile col PAL e con l'NTSC). Il SECAM e` anche usato in quasi tutta l'area d'influenza francese (leggi paesi francofoni d'Africa) e anche in altre regioni del mondo (ex. URSS, almeno in parte) NTSC e PAL non sono compatibili tra di loro. Esistono in commercio TV e VCR che possono visualizzare sia NTSC che PAL, in USA si trovano nelle grosse citta' generalmente in negozi gestiti da Indiani (dell'India, non American Indians) i quali offrono anche servizi per la conversione di tapes. In USA un TV multi-system costa circa il doppio di un TV normale, e convertire un tape puo' costare circa $20-$30 per tape. Tapes non registrati acquistati in USA possono essere utilizzati su apparecchi europei, mentre cassette o videodischi preregistrati non possono essere impiegati su VCR/laserdisc europei. PAL I (UK) e PAL B/G (Ita/Eur) sono parzialmente compatibili. Sono diversi nella fase di trasmissione/ricezione nella sezione audio. Un TV italiano visualizzera' i programmi in UK/Eire ma non si sentira' nulla (e viceversa). Pero' un VCR italiano collegato via presa SCART o comunque in banda base (cioe' non tramite la presa d'antenna) ad un TV inglese (e viceversa) funziona perfettamente. Nastri acquistati in UK possono essere utilizzati e visti in apparecchi europei. Esistono anche convertitori tra i diversi formati (PAL-SECAM-NTSC) e i diversi apparecchi(VCRs, TVs, camcoders). Una interessante www page sul soggetto puo' essere recuperata al seguente indirizzo: http://www.best.com/~jdulaney/pal.html References: International Telecommunications Union "Television systems used around the world", Switzerland, ISBN 92-61-02971-X Usenet: rec.video Also for pecific questions: bellutta@ohsu.edu ==Q7.2= Will electronic devices (phone etc) bought abroad work ======= properly in Italy? Last modified: August 13 1993 Luigi Semenzato <luigi@paris.CS.Berkeley.EDU> writes: POWER SUPPLIES Most electrical appliances will need a transformer. Italy's AC is 220V, 50Hz. U.S. is 110V, 60Hz. A transformer can bring 220V, 50Hz to 110V, 50Hz. The difference between the 50 and 60 Hz is well tolerated by most appliances (but see below). Some modern equipment, among which certain models of camcorders and computers, have a `universal power supply' that will work properly when plugged anywhere in the world. Check the voltage and frequency requirements on the appliance itself. Some items will not work properly even with a transformer. The ones I know of are clock radios that count the AC cycles to keep the time. They will run 20% slow in Italy (50 minutes in 1 hour). Transformers change the voltage, not the frequency. [Not completely true: there are AC-DC-AC devices that also change the frequency, but they are not exactly consumer items, so don't look for them at Radio Shack]. Items with large electric motors of the asynchronous type (electric fans, for instance) will run 20% slower in Italy. (The small motors in devices like printers or compact disk players run on internally converted DC, so those are no problem). For those items that can use a transformer, two types are available: iron-core transformers, and solid-state transformers. The iron-core type is generally safe with any appliance, but it is much heavier than the solid-state type. If the power of the appliance exceeds about 200W, a iron-core transformer gets rather heavy and it is usually better to buy it in Italy. Solid-state transformers are cheaper and much lighter and they are easily available for power up to 1500W. They should be used for resistive loads only: clothes irons, soldering irons, hair driers (the motor has a slight inductive load, but it's sufficiently small compared with the heating resistor), light bulbs (without a dimmer!). A large inductive load (like a food processor) is likely to fry the solid-state transformer. Solid-state transformers often have a dirty voltage output and may destroy the power supplies of computers and other electronic equipment. TELEPHONE, FAX, MODEM Most telephone equipment purchased in the U.S. works properly in Italy. If the equipment needs to be plugged into an electrical outlet, a 110/220 transformer is needed (see the POWER SUPPLIES section above). The following precautions must be taken: ---for telephone sets and fax machines, make sure that the set has a tone dial/pulse dial switch (most do). Most Italian phone lines are still on the pulse system. Some are on the tone system: and, surprisingly, the U.S. tones work for them, even though many (among which a professor of telecommunications at a famous university) believe that the European standard is based on different tones. ---answering machines work generally fine, but retrieving messages from another phone is not always possible, because it doesn't generate the tones (public phones, for instance, don't). Battery-operated pocket tone generators with a dial pad and a speaker are available in the U.S. and cost between $10 and $20. ---the fax and modem protocol are almost completely standardized and everything works. In the standard situation, however, a U.S. modem will wait for the U.S. ready-to-dial tone before dialing, and will never do it. For Hayes-compatible modems (the vast majority) the dialing command must be changed from ATDT<number> to ATXDP,,,<number>. The DP means DIAL PULSE (use Dial Tone when possible); the X means don't wait for the dial tone; and the commas introduce a delay, to allow for the phone to get ready after unhooking. Also, the modem will not recognize the RING and BUSY signals. ---cordless phones work but may be illegal (because of frequency bands allotments). Nobody seems to care. The new 900 MHz systems (they cost more, at least $300, and claim a wider range) are almost certainly illegal. The digital broadband systems (still rare even in the U.S.) were illegal in 1991, as Italian regulation did not allow any kind of broadband communication. Cellular phone sets are useless, since the local telephone company (SIP) appears to have a monopoly on cellular communication. STEREO, RADIO, TV, VCR, CAMCORDERS, All stereo equipment works fine with a transformer, with one small exception: the FM radio band in Italy starts at a slightly lower frequency than the U.S. lower bound of 88 MHz, and a few stations are unreachable. The U.S. TV standard (NTSC) and the Italian one (PAL) are not compatible. Among various differences, NTSC transmits 30 frames/second, PAL 25 frames/second. Many electronic stores, especially those in large cities and the mail-order stores, carry PAL and multi-system equipment (both PAL and NTSC in various flavors, and often SECAM too). Pre-recorded video tapes bought in the U.S. cannot be played on Italian VCRs (blank tapes are OK), unless both VCR and TV set are of the multi-system type. There is also a still rare and relatively expensive type of VCR that is capable of reading a NTSC tape and outputting a PAL signal (the conversion is hard, because of the different number of frames). Do not confuse this with a cheaper type that performs a `fake' NTSC-PAL conversion: it outputs a PAL signal at 30 frames/second. Some PAL TV sets can handle that, usually with a certain amount of picture distortion (shorter and wider); other can't. There are also converters for the different standards (PAL-SECAM-NTSC) and devices (VCRs, TVs, camcoders). An useful www page about this topic is in : http://www.best.com/~jdulaney/pal.html VIDEO GAMES A video-game unit bought in the U.S. outputs a NTSC signal and will work only with a NTSC or multi-system TV. Cartridges, however, contain only software and should work fine. CAMERAS Cameras sold in the U.S. often have different model names than those of identical models sold in Europe. The Italian distributors will often not honor a U.S. warranty, unless the owner can prove to be a citizen or resident of the U.S. See also question 8.1 in this FAQ section ==Q7.3= How can I import goods from the US to Italy? Last modified: September 15 1994 * Apparecchiature ricetrasmittenti Per le apparecchiature ricetrasmittenti (tra cui i cordless phones) ci sono delle restrizioni sull'importazione. Alla dogana vengono sequestrati se ve li trovano in valigia. Il motivo e' l'omologazione da parte del ministero PPTT. Il consiglio (da parte dei doganieri) e' quello di importare le cose senza dichiararle. Se il materiale venisse sequestrato lo potete comunque ritirare in uscita dall'Italia o farlo omologare (io scarterei l'ipotesi...). Se trovano qualcosa di non dichiarato ma per cui non esistono restrizioni in merito oltre ad una eventuale multa (a seconda del doganiere) tra tasse doganali e IVA si paga circa il 47% del valore dichiarato. Il valore deve essere supportato da una ricevuta per la merce, altrimenti decidono i doganieri il valore. Se la merce e' usata non si paga l'IVA. Se sei residente all'estero da piu' di sei mesi hai il diritto di importare tutto quello che vuoi (come effetti personali) senza pagare una lira di sdoganamento. E' necessario presentarsi in dogana con una lista degli effetti personali fatta vidimare dal consolato italiano. Nota: La radio FM trasmette negli US con una diversa enfasi. Un tuner USA quindi funziona un poco meno bene in Europa (soprattutto nelle alte frequenze). Se la radio e' da poco non fa alcuna differenza, ma se e' molto costosa e' una cosa da tenere nella debita considerazione. * Libri Paolo Bellutta <bellutta@ohsu.edu> writes: Tanti di noi stanno rientrando in patria dagli USA, e ho notato che non tutti sanno di agevolazioni per spedire libri e riviste. L'USPS ha un rate speciale per i libri/riviste/periodici di 67c per libbra. La spedizione si chiama M-bag. Mettete i libri o riviste in uno scatolone (quelli che tengono le risme di carta da fotocopiatrice vanno benissimo) scrivete il vostro indirizzo e in alto a destra scrivete "Postage paid M-bag", lo portate all'uffcio postale, loro lo mettono in un sacco della posta e vi verra' riconsegnato (credo dopo uno o due mesi) a casa vostra completo di sacco! Il limite per un M-bag e' 67 libbre (30Kg). Pero' potete fare piu' M-bag. * Automobili Per il trasferimento di proprieta' non e' un grande problema. Ci sono delle formalita' da eseguire, ma in generale al consolato sanno dare indicazioni. Lo sdoganamento puo' essere fatto senza problemi se si possiede l'auto da almeno un anno e se si risiede negli USA da almeno 18 si come residente all'estero. Anche questi documenti li rilascia il consolato. La parte tuttavia piu' difficile e' l'immatricolazione. Infatti per immatricolare l'auto in Italia bisogna omologarla, e non e' molto facile, soprattutto dal 1 gennaio 1993 con le nuove norme CEE. Se si vuole portare in Italia un'automobile bisogna informarsi dal distributore Italiano se possono rilasciare il "certificato di conformita'" che indica come l'automobile sia conforme alle norme italiane. Per alcune automobili questo e' possibile, per altre no. Per esempio per l' Alfa Romeo Duetto e' possibile, mentre per esempio non e' stato possibile per un mio amico importare una Mazda Miata e per me una Porsche 911 Cabrio. Per quanto riguarda queste ultime due auto non era possibile farle rientrare nei limiti delle emissioni inquinanti adesso obbligatorie in Europa, quindi sarebbe stato impossibile immatricolarle. Un'ultima nota: sdoganare le auto giapponesi e' piu' complicato in quanto, essendo limitato il numero importabile, bisogna richiedere uno speciale permesso, che in generale danno ma e' una formalita' in piu'. Quindi il consiglio e' di essere previdenti e chiedere tutte le informazioni al distributore in Italia prima di spendere una cifra in una auto pensando di riportarla. In particolare tenere conto che e' SEMPRE necessario cambiare fanali anteriori e posteriori, cinture di sicurezza, luci dei freni, e alcune volte anche il parabrezza. Carlo Biasutto <karl@amleto.ico.olivetti.com> writes: Non ho mai spedito auto. Se con il rientro si riacquista la residenza in Italia l'uso di auto con targa straniera puo' portare al sequestro del veicolo, per contrabbando. La re-immatricolazione in Italia e' un processo estremamente complicato e oneroso, in alcuni casi impossibile. In passato ho affrontato in due occasioni i problemi del rientro in Italia e ho sperimentato entrambe le soluzioni - via aerea e via nave - per la spedizione delle masserizie. Se puo' essere di aiuto a qualcuno, questa e' stata la mia esperienza. I dati indicati sono orientativi, non essendo aggiornati: * VIA AEREA La soluzione e' decisamente piu' costosa ma i tempi sono ridotti, e con essi la possibilita' di furti. Ho effettuato una spedizione via Air Cargo dal Canada all'Italia. La spesa si e' aggirata sui CND$700 per un baule il cui sollevamento richiedeva due persone. Non avevo la lista consolare del contenuto ma, con il solo certificato di iscrizione all'AIRE, lo sdoganamento alla Malpensa si e' risolto in pochi minuti. Il carico non era assicurato e gli unici danni sono stati subiti dal baule. La soluzione aerea e' indicata per rientri "leggeri", oppure per spedizioni di un certo valore. Ma nel caso di veri traslochi e' inevitabile ricorrere alla spedizione via mare. * VIA MARE La rivendita di spazio sui containers e' gestita da operatori specializzati, "freight consolidators" sulle pagine gialle, il cui business consiste appunto nel consolidare molte piccole spedizioni. * Ho riscontrato variazioni di prezzo notevoli fra i vari operatori, nel mio caso si andava dai $200 ai $700. * Il costo dipende solo dal volume totale della spedizione, calcolato come prodotto delle tre dimensioni (particolarmente sconvenienti le casse piramidali...). Esiste un volume minimo richiesto, che varia a seconda dell'operatore, ma non scende sotto i 30-40 cubic feets. * Per facilitare le fasi iniziali e finali del trasporto conviene utilizzare casse si dimensioni limitate. Per minimizzare i costi utilizzare casse di dimensioni tali da poter essere accatastate in un unico volume regolare, per esempio un cubo. * Alcuni spedizionieri vendono dei contenitori in cartone rinforzati sopra e sotto con telai in legno e permettono di riempirli in loco. Utile per chi non dispone di un pick-up: si portano le masserizie sfuse e si butta tutto dentro i contenitori... occhio al peso o si deve far l'operazione inversa all'arrivo! * Le spedizioni "via mare" comportano molti passaggi di mano fra spedizionieri diversi, inclusi tratti via terra, lungo itinerari non noti al momento della spedizione. I rischi aumentano ed e' consigliabile l'assicurazione. Esempio: 1) San Francisco -> Los Angeles : terra 2) Los Angeles -> Panama -> Anversa : mare 3) Anversa -> Milano : terra * Non tutte le citta' italiane sono offerte come possibile destinazione. Solo alcune - provviste di dogana - sono previste nelle relazioni dei freight consolidators. * L'arrivo della spedizione viene notificato al nominativo indicato. Credo che tutto sia piu' semplice se la persona indicata e' la stessa che rientra in Italia. Sdoganamento e trasporto finale possono essere gestiti in proprio o tramite spedizioniere. * Nel mio caso sono ricorso ai servizi di uno spedizioniere: - i 120 Km finali sono costati piu' del tratto San Francisco - Milano - una cassa e' stata svaligiata nei magazzini doganali - lo sdoganamento ha richiesto due mesi * La procedura di sdoganamento e' kafkiana: uno che torna dalla America deve per forza essersi portato la radio... mi sono visto percio' richiedere l'abbonamento TV per poter sdoganare... * Ho fatto notare che la lista delle masserizie in esenzione doganale, con tanto di timbri consolari, NON comprendeva TV. Mi e' stato detto che stavo complicando la pratica... si sarebbe dovuta verificare l'effettiva assenza dell'oggetto non dichiarato! Soluzione: abbonamento RADIO su CCP, intestato a un parente che ha gia' la TV. * L'assicurazione USA ha rimborsato (con un solo sollecito) il materiale trafugato, fra cui una stampante. Esiste comunque una franchigia. I corrieri italiani forniscono copertura assicurativa contro i furti, ma i danni devono essere notificati alla consegna, cosa difficile se il furto non e' evidente al momento. Furio Ercolessi <furio@tsmi19.sissa.it> writes: * Shipping by air cargo Air cargo is a quite effective way to ship stuff quickly across the ocean. The caveat is that you have to carry the goods by yourself to and from the two airports involved, and handle the customs procedure by yourself. Typical delivery time may be around 72 hours or less. Keep in mind that leaving things "parked" at the final airport is not free. For example, Venezia charges L.19/kg/day, unless you pick up your things within three days from the arrival. Pack your things into any random assembly of boxes of whatever size or weight, but it is strongly recommended to pack very well (use foam, and nested boxes with foam in between for delicate equipment such as bombs, kalashnikovs etc), and protect from humidity (large garbage bags are great), just in case the plane makes a dive into the ocean along the way. Use strong tape such as 'Duct' (sp?), seal all holes. No one will ever care to orient your boxes so that the 'up' arrow points upwards, and 'Fragile' labels are simply pathetic in their ingenuity. But in general the handling method is gentle enough to avoid damage, unless accidents occur. It is essential to shop around, as there are significant price differences among different airlines. As a guideline, I enclose the results of my (not exhaustive) search made on january 1994, and relative to a US->Italy shipment for a total weight of kg 200. I guarantee that some of the information presented below is wrong, and that I do not know which is right and which is wrong :-) If you are moving back after a period spent working in the US, you must go to the italian consulate with a list of all the stuff you are shipping, including serial numbers for all electronic and photographic equipment. They will prepare a form that you will present to the italian customs to claim tax exemption (it really works!). The list does not need to make reference to the individual boxes in your shipping (so that you can easily do it in advance), it is not necessary to specify the value of the goods, and must be in italian. In principle you must be in the AIRE list to do this. In practice, at least at the Chicago consulate, they can AIREize and deAIREize you on the spot on the same day, so it's not a real problem. For shipping and insurance (but not customs) purposes, you will also have to prepare a packing list (in english), where the contents of the individual boxes is listed, and the value of the goods is given. The rates below may increase if you shipment occupies a large volume relative to its weight. For instance, Air France uses the following formula: Charging_weight = Max(Effective_weight,Volume_weight) where Volume_weight = (L x W x H)/366 and L,W,H are the box dimensions in inches. I have normalized all prices to kg units - for some strange reason, american companies tend to give prices per pound :-) As everybody certainly knows from age 3, 1 lb = 0.453 kg. I was shipping from Chicago O'Hare. My final destination was Trieste, so my choice of airport was (in the preferred order) Trieste, Venezia, Milano. Every carrier goes to Milano, only a few to Venezia, almost nobody to Trieste and nobody at a reasonable price. Air France ...... 1-800-232-2746 "about $2/kg" from Chicago to Venezia Rather good price. Alitalia ........ 1-800-221-4745 $3.60/kg from Chicago to Trieste. Other cities may be somewhat less, but Alitalia has a reputation to be completely out of the cargo market, with absurd prices. American Airlines 1-800-227-4622 $3.53/kg from Chicago to Milano. British Airways 1-800-247-9297, 1-312-686-5720 $3.11/kg from Chicago to Venezia, from 100kg to 300kg. But they are crazy, since you must pay for 300kg even if you have less than that. That is, the shipment has a fixed cost of 300x3.11 = $933 regardless of the actual weight. KLM ............. 1-312-686-6080 No cargo service to Italy. Lufthansa ....... 1-312-686-8192 $2.70/kg from Chicago to Milano. $3.07/kg from Chicago to Venezia. Swissair ........ 1-312-686-7335 $1.65/kg from Chicago to Milano. Price to Rome should be similar to Milan. This is the best price I have ever obtained. Some friends of mine shipped stuff from Chicago to Rome using Swissair cargo with full satisfaction. TWA ............. 1-314-423-9550 $2.10/kg from St Louis to Milano. $3.26/kg from St Louis to Venezia. They are cheaper from St Louis than Chicago, since their general headquarters are there. United Airlines . 1-800-631-1500 $3.53/kg from Chicago to Milano. I ended using Air France, due to their good rate to Venezia, which is much closer to Trieste (my final destination) than Milano. Their final rate was $1.90/kg, but I had far more than kg 200 as I initially estimated (RULE OF THUMB: do your best estimate of how much stuff you have, and then multiply it by two!!!). I also bought insurance at a cost of 0.5% of the value of the goods (as declared on the packing list). Everything went fairly smoothly. I spent about two hours at their cargo terminal at O'Hare, for unloading, weighting, do the paperwork and payment. About one and a half hour in Venezia for customs and loading. No apparent damages, but as I am writing this I still have to open a lot of boxes and turn on a few devices. * Renting a van If you need to rent vans to carry your stuff to/from airports, an approximate estimate is 0.35c/mile in the US, and L.1100/km in Italy. >From a posting by <silvia@osiris.usi.utah.edu>: Esenzione doganale: I diversi consolati degli Stati Uniti applicano la stessa regola: 1 anno per tutte le masserizie ad eccezione della macchina per cui bisogna dimostrare 18 mesi di possesso. La procedura e' abbastanza semplice: Fai una lista delle cose che vuoi portare in Italia, la spedisci al tuo consolato assieme ad un modulo ( che dovresti richiedere precedentemente a loro ) in cui devi elencare nome e cognome e dati. Il costo del documento e' circa $30 ( non mi ricordo esattamente). Il consolato di S.Francisco impiega circa una settimana a fare le pratiche. A me non hanno mai cheisto nulla, ne di dimostrare che avevo le cose da piu' di un anno ne ricevute varie . L'originale che ti spediranno va allegato alla merce ( se la spedisci separatamente ). Per tutta l'elettronica ( tv, radio, cd ) nel modulo ti fanno metter il numero di matricola. I certificato e' valido 6 mesi. ==Q7.4= How can I import goods from Italy to the US? Last Modified: June 15 1993 Paolo Bellutta <bellutta@ohsu.EDU> writes: Io ho importato una cassa di 200Kg per via aerea. Il costo e' o a peso o a ingombro (prendono il costo maggiore ovviamente). La mia cassa era compatta ma molto pesante e la differenza tra via aerea e via nave era minima. Io per di piu' stando in costa ovest ho scartato l'idea di lasciare la mia cassa in mano a chissa' chi per un paio di mesi. Il cargo aereo e' arrivato in una settimana. In spedizione e' necessario fare una lista degli effetti personali e dichiararne il valore. All'arrivo i vari documenti vengono vistati dalla dogana locale (a me hanno guardato a malapena le carte, e non hanno nemmeno voluto vedere la cassa) e non ci sono ne' tasse ne' dazi da pagare. ==Q7.5= What are the legal aspects of importing goods to Italy? Last modified: August 13 1993 Luigi Semenzato <luigi@paris.CS.Berkeley.EDU> writes: Italian law allows a very low duty-free allowance for gifts or other items acquired abroad ($50 last time I checked, in 1991). Items above this amount must be declared. The import fee is 10% duty + 19% IVA and must be paid in cash. If the items are for an Italian firm or a professional who needs to list them as expenses for tax purposes, the paperwork needs to be done by an `importer'. The duty receipt given at the point of entry is not usable for tax purposes. Custom controls are not strict. At major airports, and on flights from outside the EEC, some checks are done. A verbal declaration is requested, and baggage is sometimes checked. The custom inspectors are likely to grumble a lot if they find undeclared items, and show disbelieving faces at your explanations, but in the end it is likely that they'll let you go. Remember that in Italy the exception is the rule. Do not attempt to bribe the custom official: it's dangerous and unnecessary. For flights into Italy from other EEC countries, very few checks are done even if a passenger's flight originated outside the EEC. Should everything go wrong, remember that Italian prisons are an important aspect of the local folklore and these days you are likely to meet famous Italian industrialists there (famous politicians are expected to follow shortly). :) ==Q7.6= Does anybody know of any difference between an Italian and ======= American prescription for lenses? Paolo Bellutta <bellutta@ohsu.EDU> writes: The only difference I found was the optical axis of a cylindrical lens (for astigmatism) have different reference and direction. In the US. 0 deg. is like in trigonometry while in Italy the right eye has the 0 deg. on the horizontal axis, but on the *left*, and positive clockwise. ==Q7.7= Can I drive a foreign vehicle in Italy with an Italian licence? Last modified: September 15 1994 Carlo Biasutto <karl@kwai.ico.olivetti.com> writes: In base al DL 513 del 31/12/92 e' stata abolita la normativa precedente (DPR 43/1973) che vietava la guida di auto con targa straniera da parte di conducenti muniti di patente italiana. Vista la scarsa conoscenza di queste norme puo' risultare utile avere con se copia del DL. Nota: la vecchia normativa rimane in vigore per auto immatricolate in paesi non membri dell'Unione Europea >From a posting by <anselmi@cesi.it>: Qualcuno mi aveva suggerito che il DL 513 del 31.12.92 (fonte la rivista Quattroruote) metteva fine al divieto di guida di una autovettura della Comunita' Europea da parte di un cittadino italiano. Altre persone mi hanno segnalato un articolo del Sole 24 ore del 16.09.93 che cita una disposizione ministeriale (del Ministero delle Finanze) n. VII-15-112-93 del 02.09.93 che asserisce la non punibilita' di un conducente italiano alla guida di una vettura della Comunita'Europea (il reato in questione e' contrabbando). Questa mattina ho segnalato ad un vigile, lo stesso che tempo fa mi aveva fermato con l'intenzione di sequestrarmi l'auto, queste disposizioni ma...il vigile mi ha fatto notare che dall'ottobre '93 e' entrato in vigore il nuovo codice stradale e che, quindi, questo annulli ed aggiorni tutte le disposizioni precedenti. Sembra, dal nuovo codice stradale, che sia possibile guidare una autovettura straniera solo se il proprietario si trova al fianco del conducente oppure se si e' muniti di apposita delega. Da dove venga questa delega non e' precisato. Cosi' mi sono rivolto ad un sottoufficiale della Finanza che mi ha detto che la delega deve essere rilasciata dal proprietario dell'autovettura. Dove devo sbattere la testa ? Il vigile sostiene che la delega non e' rilasciata dal proprietario ma dalla dogana.